Create your own event
Save the Rhino relies on the passion and enthusiasm of our supporters (or, as we like to think of you – our ‘rhinos’). We love it when people come to us and say “I’d like to hold a fundraising quiz night for you” or “I want to raise some money – what can I do?”.
The funds you raise are always hugely appreciated, no matter how small. Every contribution makes a difference to the rhino projects we support in Africa and Asia.
Our supporters have taken on a whole host of different ideas and challenges to raise money for us - here are a few of the best:
- One supporter gave up alcohol for 6 months
- Three students did a ‘jailbreak’ and managed to get to Brussels by blaggings lifts
- A group of intrepid explorers are travelling from the UK to South Africa in Land Rovers
- A teacher arranged a book sale at their school
- The Bath sceptical society held a ‘geek pride’ pub quiz and donated the profits to us as Douglas Adams was a founding patron of Save the Rhino
- Brothers Richard and Philippe Flamand completed in the Dubai and Hong Kong Marathons respectively in rhino costume.
- One supporter raised over £4,000 by asking his friends and family for a donation instead of presents for his 40th birthday. It sounds like he had one hell of a party!
- South African Travel and Tourism Association SATOA picked Save the Rhino as its appointed charity. SATOA will support us at each of its events, holding raffles and raising awareness of our goals.
- A vet school student has set up ‘Team Rhino’ at Cambridge University to raise funds and awareness of rhino poaching.
- One young fundraiser is doing a combination of car washes, cake bakes and a sponsored silence to raise money for rhinos
- Use all of your creative talents, below is a video of a volunteer replicating the Harlem shake
Holding your own event
Holding a fundraising event – whether it’s a small gathering of friends or a huge posh dinner – can be hugely rewarding and great fun. It’s a good idea to do what you enjoy and focus your event around what your contacts will enjoy. Perhaps you like going to the cinema with friends – why not hold a movie night? Or if you’re part of a sports group, could you arrange a competition?
- Bake sale: How about making and selling rhino cookies or cream horns?
- Dinner party: Indian themed dinner party to raise money for Indian rhinos
- Braai: Invite friends to an African Braai (BBQ) for African rhinos
We’re here to help
We’d be thrilled to hear about your fundraising ideas and are here to help you develop your ideas and give encouraging words of wisdom. We’d also like to thank you and post your photos on our Facebook page! Get in touch with Claudia on email@example.com about holding a fundraising event.